Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Where I Belong

I have had the wonderful gift of being a mom for 1,721 days (yes, I did the math). In those 1,721 days can you guess how many nights my husband and I have had to ourselves? 3. Yep, three. I, like any mom, covet those times when I can have some alone time with my husband. Living in a city where neither my husband or I have family around, makes it especially hard to find those precious times - just the two of us. I am SO thankful for selfless friends that have offered to keep my daughter so that my husband and I can have the time that we desperately need to stay connected. Because, let's face it, romance often gets put on the back burner when you become a parent.


This past Friday night, my hubby and I enjoyed our third night alone. We spent our time in Indianapolis eating at an elegant, romantic restaurant and going to a concert to see my all-time most favorite musician. I felt free! I felt like it was where I belonged - next to my handsome husband without a care in the world! It took me back to our days pre-child. It felt exciting! I was already trying to plan in my mind the next time he and I could get away and how it couldn't be soon enough!


After sleeping until 10:00 and stuffing ourselves with a delicious brunch, it was time for us to return to the "real world." Even though I didn't want our couple time to end, I was really excited to see my sweet girl. When we picked her up, placed her in her car seat and heard her utter the words, "Ahhh....back where I belong", I knew right at that moment that I was truly where I belonged.

Keep the faith,
JoAnna

4 comments:

  1. Love that she said that! I totally know how you feel. Don't feel torn sometimes?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely serious when I say this. Please bring your daughter over here next time you need some time with your hubby. I completely know how you feel! We don't get much time alone either. You know my situation with my parents. It's not easy. It's one of my biggest challenges every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I wish I had known, Ok, TWO things I wish I had known in Cincinnati: Jen, that you, too had lost your mom. JoAnna, that there were others out there who needed some time with their husbands and didn't really have someone to leave their child with overnight - for whatever reason. Luke and I have had ONE night alone since Mayah was born. One. JoAnna, I'm so glad you guys had a nice time, and were able to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, friends! And thanks for understanding! It feels so great to connect this way! :)

    ReplyDelete